This weekend I participated in a 10-hour triathlon with co-worker Cathy and Amanda (sis-in law Jody's sister). The object of the 10 hour triathlon is to complete as many triathlons in a 10 hour period of time as possible. We entered as a three person team, so we each had to do one event out of the 3 legs during each triathlon. For instance in the first one I swam, Cathy biked and Amanda ran.
This was an interesting experience! It was held in Pattison State Park, just south of Superior, WI. it is a really beautiful park with waterfalls and trails on Wisconsin Highway 35. The swim was in the dam created lake that had a consistent depth of about 5-6 feet, the bike was a route on highway 35, in which the biker headed out 7 mi, made a u-turn and headed back, and the run was a 5 K on a trail that went around the lake and out to some of the waterfalls.
Overall I am really proud of how we all did as we completed 6 triathlons and we came in 4th place! In total I swam a mile, biked 28 miles and ran 5 K. But let me just give a few reasons why didn't quite squeeze in 7, although we were close....
1. The water was a balmy 63 degrees!!
2. The weather was 60 degrees with rain every once in awhile
3. At mile 14 in the bike ride was the biggest dang hill!!
4. The trail run was truly a trail run...there were branches hanging down, roots to trip on, wooden steps to climb, and oh, yeah it all seemed to go uphill!!
5. By the end of the sixth race, we had been poured on, cold, and none of us wanted to swim, bike or run anymore!
But even with my complaints, this was a great end to my first ever triathlon season, and I certainly plan on doing it again next year. Thanks Cathy and Amanda for making a great team!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow!! That is so impressive. You must've felt great once you were done (well, after you warmed up and dried off anyways :)) congratulations on all of your accomplishments this triathalon season! How'd you end up getting into these?
Congratulations! That is an awesome achievement! Didn't you have as one of your goals to complete 1 triathalon? Now you compeleted 6 in one day!?! And what a great experience to do with a team.
Congrats again!
Wow Gigi, congrats! It sounds like a pretty innovative way to do triathlon, and a beautiful setting to do it in.
Thanks everyone. Yes my goal was a single triathlon, and they seem to be an addictive way to keep up my motivation for staying active!
Katie, I started with the idea of doing an indoor triathlon in March. It was short...1/3 mile swim, 6 mi bike and 1.5 miles run (on treadmill). That seemed to go pretty well and I thought (with the encouragement of Cathy) that I may be able to do an outdoor tri. I found some workout schedules online and I also found an entire website dedicated to the plus sized triathlete. It was motivational! I also learned that many people do quite a bit of walking for the run part, so I knew I could always walk if need be. Then I started working on it, and then I am stubborn enough that I want to get better too. :)
Now I just need to keep motivated to work out during the winter :)
Post a Comment