Friday, November 14, 2008

Handsome Boy...


Gavin was having some trouble with reading. The smart kid he is, with an incredible memory, we could not figure out what the issue might be. I had thought at some point we should get his eyes checked, but the thought kept leaving my head and I never made an appointment for him. A couple of weeks ago we were in Duluth and Matt was getting his eyes looked at and I thought, "oh yeah, we should get Gavin's eyes checked." There were openings with the eye doctor, and so we signed him up. As you can tell by the picture... Gavin was lucky enough to get glasses! It turns out he is far sighted and when he tries to focus in closer, his eyes cross. (Obviously this would make it hard to read). At this point, I am thinking to myself- duh!! Why did we not get this looked at earlier?! As a teacher, I have heard many stories of students that go through vision therapy and other vision correction techniques to improve their reading. I guess I trusted the fact that they do vision screening in the nurses office...but that simple screening that does not catch far sightedness or eyes crossing. This is a message to all you parents...when your children start school, get them to an eye doctor for a screening each year as well. It could have saved Gavin some big frustrations!

In the meantime Gavin has been happy with the outcome. Gavin does enjoy wearing his glasses, and he looks even more like daddy!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Awww...he looks so cute!!

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

He's so handsome! I guess I got a sneak peak the other night, but I didn't know they were new! Hope he likes reading better now!

Grandma Judy said...

His glasses are very cute.Jimmy and I just got new glasses,and I was noticeing the children frames, they really have so cute ones to choose from.

Diana said...

Let me guess...you got them at Lens Crafters?

He looks very cute :)

Gigi said...

I think we would be disowned if we got glasses somewhere other than Lens Crafters. As Matt likes to say it is the "family business."